Tuesday, January 31, 2006

State of the Union

Like many other bloggers are doing right now, I am reacting to the reaction to the State of the Union. Though I watched it myself (and found myself laughing, or wanting to cry, at the "wrong" moments), what I find most interesting is the public reaction.

Having read some of the public responses, I remember now why I lost interest in politics. I did not and do not have the courage for it. Nor the confidence. I do not believe that I am absolutely right. I could not respond to the definitive declarations that Bush rules! or Bush sucks! (But, yeah, Bush does suck.) People approach the political arena the way they approach a baseball game. I understand that Yankees rule and Red Sox suck! That's all fun. But I can't understand carrying that kind of unwavering belief for a political party, which forever changes with the people leading it and the times surrounding it... and actually effects our lives.

I especially hate the response that so often comes from Bush-supporters, though: what would you do better? What I would do better is recognize that I am utterly unqualified to undertake the responsibilities required of the President and, despite the disappointment of my parents, I would decline the nomination so that I might never find myself at the head of this kind of situation.

If I wanted, I could run to the White House before the President returns to his home. And what would I do? I imagine I would only have the courage to glare. But I would dream that I would yell something clever but more importantly loud. He does not seem to hear clever very well. Loud would work best. Perhaps I should wear a sparkly top to really grab his attention. In my wildest dreams or if I lived in a movie, I would throw something. I would fake an assassination attempt and be gunned down by the Secret Service. I would go down as a martyr with an anti-cause. And now it's probably too late anyway. Though I haven't heard the sirens, there go the helicopters.

8 Comments:

At 9:27 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

That last paragraph is so depressing. It's like watching the Daily Show - it no longer makes me laugh, it just makes me really, really angry. It makes me want to become President, but unfortunately the system is such that no one who should be President could ever become President.

That and, if I'm not paying attention or watching the Daily Show, I just don't have the drive/rage.

Sometimes I imagine myself donning a desert-worn robe with a hood that obscures my face and taking up a wooden staff. Then I'd stand in front of the White House, and in a loud God-fed voice proclaim all the evils and injustices made by the villains in the white house behind the black gate, who blaspheme in the names of false righteousness and bring the scorn of the world down upon us.

It's funny, because I'm not a crazy lunatic, and underdeath I'd be wearing work clothes so I could just duck into an alley, hide the robe in a messenger bag, and head to my office. It could be like my superhero disguise, except unlike every other superhero who wears their costume UNDER their regular clothes, I'd be wearing mine OVER them. My name could be something like Super Prophet, or The Preacher.

I'm not sure how I could hide my staff in a messenger bag. But every crazy prophet dude NEEDS a staff, so I'd probably have to figure something out.

 
At 10:46 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm afraid it does not. My only superpower is the ability to be thrown in jail with surprising speed.

 
At 3:27 PM, Blogger SR Phoenix said...

I have been known to be depressing from time to time.

And yeah... where have all the heroes gone? And where are all the gods? Where's the streetwise Hercules... yada yada yada.

We need you SuperProphet (which would be a better pseudonym than fitzwilliam darcy)! Except for right now, you'll be considered a crazy vigilante. Later, you will be called a hero and there will be comic books about you. There goes the Prophet Signal again.

 
At 3:52 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yes, we all know that ALL the great prophets of yesteryear got their own comic books.

OMFG! Is that the new Baalthazar?!?!

Quick Mohammed! Into the Oracle of Solitude!

 
At 4:09 PM, Blogger SR Phoenix said...

haha. Wellllll... Buffy was like a prophet and she got her own comic book. And Professor Xavier was like a prophet too. And Jean Grey. And Spiderman had his spidey-senses. I'm sure there's tons of other examples.

I was playing more on the super hero aspect though.

 
At 4:25 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ok. See. I didn't get that.

I also didn't get that a Slayer's powers included the ability to see the future.

And Spidey-Sense? When I think of a PROPHET, I think of long-term future-telling. Spidey-Sense is hardly long term.


My Spidey-Sense is tingling! Oh no Mary Jane! Someone in your bridge club is trying to KILL you with her walker! Watch out! Oh, thank GOD that won't happen for another sixty years.

Reminds me of a hilarious Onion article - "Last Surviving Bridge Club Member Didn't Want to Win Like This."

Also, could the Prophet Signal be in the shape of a large skull with a snake coming out of its mouth? Or has that been done?

 
At 5:14 PM, Blogger SR Phoenix said...

Yeah, the Spidey-sense was pushing it.

Buffy has been known as "Prophecy Girl," but that was because she was supposed to fulfill a prophecy. When some serious evil is a-brewing, she tends to get prophetic with dreams and such... as illustrated in season 1 episode 1, season 2 episode 22 and 23, season 3... i'm just kidding. I don't know the episodes by heart *ahem*... awkward.

As for the SuperProphet signal, I think that emblem might draw the wrong crowd for ya. Back to the drawing board wit you.

 
At 5:30 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

"Back to the drawing board" was one of those expressions I picked up as a kid - the kind where you have no idea exactly what it means, but you sort of understand the context it's supposed to be used in.

Whenever Marvin the Martian's Uranium PU-36 Explosive Space Demodulator would blow up in his hand, he'd say "Back to the old drawing board."

So whenever I did something bad, I'd say "Back to the old drawing board."

I'm sure that's why my parents were so interested in putting me in therapy.

I figured out the Prophet Signal: a flying Delorean. You know, prophet... predict the future... Delorean... Back to the Future. It works.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home