Tuesday, September 20, 2005

it's not easy being yellow

"Where are you from?" asked co-worker A_.
I said, "New Jersey."

I know that's not what she meant, but that's what she asked.

Because I'm not outwardly as rude as I am internally, I explained, "... but my parents are from the Philippines."

She went on to explain that I look kind of Asian, but kind of Hispanic too. That makes sense... given that the Philippines were basically colonized by both Spain and Japan (and let's not forget the good ol' USA). Thanks for bringing up a history of religious conversion, murder, rape, and torture. It's nice that my physical appearance can represent all that.

Not that I was actually offended by this; I'm certainly not a PC person or bursting with pride over my ethnicity (not that I'm ashamed or anything... I just don't tend to "burst" over much... at least not much non-fiction).

In fact, I would like to propose that The Daily Show add an Asian correspondent to their cast. I would be more than happy to fulfill this role, just in case Jon Stewart happens upon this blog. It'd be perfect! Not only am I Asian, I live in DC. They wouldn't have to use a fake back drop when I report from the White House lawn! And since my name isn't very "Asian," I'd even be willing to work under the pseudonym Trisha Takanawa or something else not derived from Family Guy.

Jonny, hit me up soon... we'll discuss the details. This is Trisha Takanawa, signing off.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home