Wednesday, September 14, 2005

fall

Ah yes, fall is humming through the air: gusts of yellow and orange blowing through treetops, children bagging books on intelligent design, and apples apples everywhere! But let's cut through the stereotypes and get down to the real meaning of the autumnal equinox... a new season of television!

The first new show I watched for the season was Reunion. While I'm pretty sure I will watch this show religiously for the rest of its life, I'm not sure I can attest to its actually being "good." The premise of the show is pretty interesting: in the present day, one of six friends has been murdered and each episode focuses on a different year of their friendships in attempting to discover the murderer. The first episode visited the year 1986, when the clique graduated from high school. I love the 80s as much as any avid VH1 fan, but I was still a bit annoyed/amused that this was basically St. Elmo's Fire packed into an hour (with commercial breaks). And let me tell you, these kids are no brat pack. Also, the forced drama is really humorous, like constantly referring to the murdered party as "the deceased" so as to not reveal his/her identity. All in all though, the show did the job of entertaining and I will happily watch the mystery unfold for the rest of the year.

Last night, I watched Supernatural. Now, THIS is much more up my usually unusual alley. First, I love that they tell you to watch in the dark. The things they do with light to induce fear is brilliant. And the fear was certainly induced (given that I'm deathly afraid of birds and sat in the corner of my room, facing out, for about 24 hours straight after watching The Blair Witch Project though, I may not be the most reliable in gauging scariness levels). Throw in at least one hottie, some in-depth coverage of urban legends, a storyline including a chase/hunt and an implication of fate, and cool special effects with death and/or the dead, and you've got yourself the recipe for being one of my favoritest shows EVER!

Another new show: War At Home. Fox is really stretching for some more offensive material, eh? I'll watch it, but only because I'm too lazy to change the channel between The Simpsons (which boasted a lackluster premiere, but who can blame them for losing a little steam after 5,000 episodes) and Family Guy (holy hell, I wasn't sure if they could make me laugh harder than usual, but damn you Seth McFarlane & company, you had to have Stewie play marco polo with Helen Keller).

I also watched the OC for the first time last week. One can only resist the hype for so long before falling into the luxurious pool of a guilty pleasure.

Other new shows I'm ready for: Bones (I missed the premiere last night), Head Cases, Kitchen Confidential, Invasion, and Everybody Hates Chris.

Other shows I look forward to having my own reunion with: Alias (!!!), Grey's Anatomy, Scrubs, Arrested Development, Desperate Housewives, Charmed, Smallville, and I'm sure there are many many more.

Hoorah for new tv!

1 Comments:

At 10:41 AM, Blogger SR Phoenix said...

Damn you, President Bush! Tonight's episode of Reunion has been rescheduled so they can show his address. He better be apologizing and taking the blame again.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home