Wednesday, September 21, 2005

TV Rap

That's going to be the title of my column when I write for TV Guide, btw (it's a little bit more clever if you know my real name).

8pm Bones
Missed the premiere last week and was distracted by real life occassionally during last night's episode, but based on what I got, I'd give it a solid 2.5 stars (out of 5). I happen to not watch the tons of current shows that are exactly like this; so I wasn't bothered by redundancy (though obviously, I am aware it exists).
The characters are good enough... despite being obvious. The titular leading lady, Dr. Temperance "Bones" Brennan, is the nerdy yet sexy forensic anthropologist that sci-fi geeks everywhere have been longing for since being deprived of a weekly dose of Scully. I think her character can be summed up in this quote from last night: "My most meaningful relationships are with dead people."
The supporting cast is amusing and loveable... again despite being obvious.
I'm not overly excited about the show, but seeing David Boreanaz with his shirt off did tip the scales.

9pm My Name Is Earl
Definitely funny. Personally, it was more of a "people aren't really like that, are they?" funny rather than a "i tell you what, that there show is so damned close to being my life they might as well go ahead and call it My Name Is Larry The Cable Guy and just git-r-done" sort of funny.
Bonus points for starring Jason Lee, the Enforcer from Boy Meets World (Ethan Suplee, who also starred in Mallrats with Lee), and Jaime Pressly. Additional bonus points for introducing me to the game beer-tag and proposing that Carson Daly invented Karma.
Also, I just love a good lesson learned at the end of the day; last night's was that with a little beer and bringing it old school with "It Takes Two," even "a gay" and a trailer trash bully can put their differences aside and dance the night away. I'd give it 4 out of 5 stars.

930pm The Office
Eh.

10pm Law & Order: Special Victims Unit
It's back with a solid and standard return. And that's all I have to say about that.

I taped Supernatural and look forward to it. So, don't tell me about it!

Yay, for Ask Auseillo and his spoiler news on Alias. If you happen to be an Alias fan, you most likely know of the rumor that Michael Vartan (my future abductee... i mean husband) will be leaving the show... and the additional rumor that Jennifer Garner requested he be removed, what with her past relationship with him and her current relationship with Ben Affleck and their unborn child. Auseillo has been completely silenced on the topic until this week's column, where he quoted Alias producer JJ Abrams implying lots of stuff, especially that Vartan will not be leaving and to expect the unexpected. Go ahead and read it, but approach it like you would the Sphinx.

Here's what I think will happen: Vaughn (Vartan's character) will, in fact, be "killed" early in the season, if not in the first episode. The spoilers about this have been too consistent and detailed to not be true, I think. Sydney (played by Garner) will think he's dead and surprise! she's pregnant with his baby. So, the season will be her quest to find out more about him. In doing so, we'll end up getting flashes of the past, seeing his true identity and what he's really been up to; thus, having Vartan included in many episodes still. Eventually, Sydney, along with her faithful viewers, will discover... He's Not Really Dead! Dun dun dunnnnnn. And it'll all tie up nicely in the end. I think this would make a great season. Also, Vaughn's true identity will have something to do with him actually working for Sloane all along. I want to know how he's related to this father we've heard so much about if his name's not really Michael Vaughn. Anyway, that's my guess for the season... and you all heard it hear first.

1 Comments:

At 8:54 AM, Blogger SR Phoenix said...

Did you write this before you watched it? I was really excited about it, but after watching it, I wasn't that impressed. I liked it better when it was called the 4400. And even better when it was one half hour episode of The Twilight Zone.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home