Friday, December 09, 2005

Thursday TV Rap

Ah Thursdays; so much to watch and so little recording time. Usually, I would tape the OC and watch Alias, flipping over to Everybody Hates Chris and Will and Grace every once in a while (since Alias has been faltering of late). At the same time, I would long to watch Smallville. Given the disconnect between my VCR and digital cable and Comcast's shortage of DVRs, it was lucky I was not forced to choose between the OC and Alias, as Alias has made its move to Wednesday (as mentioned in the Wednesday edition). Once again, though, I had to forsake Smallville and miss out on "Lex-mas."

8pm The OC, Fox
I had no idea that the SAT scoring system had changed until Summer announced that she got a 2300. I thought they were pulling a Saved By The Bell, for a second, and making up fake scores (I believe Zack Morris got a 1351 or something like that). Anyway, I would be pissed off if I was Seth, too. I'm glad they made up though; I think they're the cutest couple. Marisa and Ryan are pretty cute themselves, even when Ryan has a stripper rubbing up on him. And then of course, there's Sandy and Kirsten who are indeed so sweet together, it sometimes makes me sick (excpet that I'm an utter romantic and so it only makes me gush). Even Julie had a sweet little date last night... for $5000. But, who goes up to someone at lunch and offers to buy her a drink?
I decided that the reason I like this show is because it's very character-driven (as opposed to its perfect partner Reunion, which is very plot-driven). Almost every time any character speaks, I fall in love just a little bit. Each one of them has their own little endearing characteristics. Summer and Seth are my favs though.
I can't wait for next week's Chrismukkah Bar Mitzvakkah!

9pm, Reunion, Fox
Though it's utterly useless to watch this murder mystery now, being that Fox is evil, I just couldn't resist. Like I said above, this show is almost completely plot-driven, which works for it. I love seeing the characters age so quickly, but it makes it hard for me to understand/relate to them. Still, the plot is intriguing enough for the story to be good. And the characters are good enough to hold it all together. Last night, it was 1993 and Samantha's birthday. Poor Samantha. This girl just cannot catch a break... except for being decently hot. And smart. And nice. And popular. Hmm, perhaps I should rescind my sympathy for her. Anyway, her ER debacle made me think: haven't we all learned anything from Scrubs? But we cannot compare comedy apples to drama oranges. My favorite part was at the end, meeting Carla's future/past love. I love Carla... she's so Molly Ringwald, but pretty. Also, Aaron's "daughter," (that's right I used quotes there) Chloe, is adorable! I would get down on one knee and propose a parent-child relationship to this little cutie, as well.

ps I hate you Fox (more to come on this sentiment).

10pm, South Park, Comedy Central
This show officially airs its new episodes on Wednesdays at 10pm, but Comedy Central knows that whenever they air it, we will watch. Last night's episode started off slow, but ended up just as jaw-droppingly offensive/hilarious as it usually is. This ep (Bloody Mary) focused almost entirely on Stan and his father, leaving the other boys to karate class, where all 4 learned about "disciprine," and watching football with their dads. The issues of the evening were alcoholism and miracles. Stan's dad gets a DUI and is forced to attend AA meetings, where he learns that he has a crippling disease that he is powerless against, aka alcoholism. In a neighboring town, a statue of the Virgin Mary miraculously begins to bleed... out its ass. The ass blood is thought to have healing powers and so Stan's dad sets out on a pilgrimmage to find the miracle cure for his alcoholism. In the end, they realize that the Bloody Mary is not a miracle: she's bleeding out of her vagina, not her butt, and that's no miracle because as the Pope (as only South Park can represent him) decrees, "Chicks bleed out their vaginas all the time." Stan also manages to teach his dad that alcoholism is not a disease and AA is a cult. Instead of drinking so much, he doesn't need to quit absolutely; he needs only to learn "disciprine." The more you know...

1 Comments:

At 12:50 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Molly Ringwald? I guess that's why Carla played the female lead in "Not Another Teen Movie."

 

Post a Comment

<< Home