Saturday, February 18, 2006

P & P Lite


Though it did not remain strictly loyal to the words of Ms. Austen, some of the liberties that were taken in the most recent rendition of Pride & Prejudice -- starring Keira Knightley, Donald Sutherland, and Dane Judi Dench -- were artfully integrated and remarkably beautiful.

This lite version is a great quick treat for when you need a little 19th century Brit lit pick-me-up, but regrettably do not have the time to read the novel or watch the BBC mini-series. Being that it's a Cliffs Notes summary of the novel, I would not recommend it as an absolute replacement, but simply as a temporary substitute.

You don't get the opportunity to fall in love with Mr. Darcy. Mr. Bingley is presented as a bumbling dimwit. Mr. Bennett is portrayed to be simply tired and old rather than bitter and vaguely malicious. Mrs. Bennett is even toned down a bit, with their marriage being oddly romanticized. And though the ending left something to be desired, it is an interesting interpretation of the book, offering views I might not have considered before.

Austen is in the ranks of Shakespeare in being infinitely adapted and endlessly analyzed, any semblance of original intentions being lost forever. Authors replaced by schools of thought. Shakespeare to Shakespearean. Austen to Austenesque. When is Slaughterhouse Five slated for processing? Or perhaps Vonnegut might hold evident that Shakespeare and Austen might not approve of such liberties taken with their words. Still, the sheer flattery of being mimicked and re-presented throughout generations probably makes it well worth it.

5 Comments:

At 9:45 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm sorry. I saw "Ms. Austen" in the first paragraph and my eyes just glazed over the rest of the post. What was it about, again? Sex with Keira Knightley?

 
At 10:34 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

It's been over a week with no new posts. What happened to prolificacy?

 
At 5:12 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Over a month with no posts. Did you stop writing, or are you hiding your blog from the Super Prophet?

I could potentially use my potent powers of prescience and prophecy to perceive your personal periodical, perchance to peer into your particular private ponderings. However, precluding my powerful percipience and pending a pause in my propriety, I would not pry into your penetrating, profound, personable persona.

I was going to end with "Phillipina psyche," but those Ps are misleadingly un-alliterative.

:)

I miss your words.

 
At 11:19 PM, Blogger SR Phoenix said...

Thanks, Super Prophet. "I miss your words." That's one of the nicest things anyone's ever said to me.

p.s. It's Filipina.

 
At 10:14 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I THOUGHT it was Filipina, but I wanted so badly to make an alliteration joke.

You should hear my simile stand-up routine...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home