Monday, August 29, 2005

birthday

My birthday's coming up (it's Thursday, September 1st for anyone who didn't know). Though I am incredibly bad at remembering everyone else's birthday (sorry Ella Grace... you can't read this yet, but you've only had two birthdays and i've forgotten to call on both... please don't resent me when you're old enough to resent), I am also incredibly sensitive about other people forgetting my own birthday. I know, I'm a hypocrite, but if you don't call on my birthday, you slip down a few notches on my list of friends (yes, i keep a list, in which people are ranked and categorized).

Because of this extrafine case of sensitivity, I can't decide how to handle the upcoming event. Should I throw myself a humongous party? Or should I hide under my covers all weekend and watch Buffy on repeat? (I'm currently leaning toward the latter.)

I considered having a small dinner party with just my closest friends, but then that became a whole other issue. Let us recall the recently mentioned list of friends. From a list that includes categories such as long-distance, real, good, best, close-but-not-often-seen, close while intoxicated, work, drinking, and responsible; how does one choose who would be invited to a small dinner party?

The problem with having a humongous party is that it never ends up being humongous. I get all torn up about who to invite to things, but then the same three to five people are the only ones I can ever count on showing up (hi guys!). So, then I end up under the covers watching Buffy the rest of the weekend anyway... but in this scenario, I'm also fighting off a nasty hangover and a bout of depression.

I should remember all this for next year to avoid all the stressing and trying to figure out what to do. Birthdays will always and unavoidably suck. Every year, I should just plan on having a date with Buffy and my comforter.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home