Thursday, November 10, 2005

Wicked

CNN tells it best... well better than me at least... for now.

Gregory Maguire did an excellent job of rewriting history in his novel-turned-acclaimed-play Wicked, where he takes a new look at what might have really been going on in Frank L. Baum's classic, The Wizard of Oz, and the others in the series. It seems that Kansas state itself is following suit with the story that made it famous (for being in black and white) and taking a stab at rewriting history, as well, but I'm gonna go ahead and guess that they're not going to find the same levels of success. Though it might be interesting to see the play, Intelligent Design: That There's Our Science.

That's right, the Kansas Board of Education approved new public school science standards in a 6-4 vote, in favor of "intelligent design." The last vote proved some very similar results, as did the decision in 1999 to remove the teaching of evolution almost entirely.

We get it, Kansas. Y'all love God. Y'all don't take kindly to no evamolution babble from no science geeks. I tell you what, I bet y'all would like to give that there "Darwin" a big ol' wedgy and call it a day. Quite frankly, it's fine by me because hey, you've given me something to blog about.

But on behalf of the future of your state and all the little children living in it (including my neice and nephew), I've got to ask: What the hell are you doing out there? "In addition, the board rewrote the definition of science, so that it is no longer limited to the search for natural explanations of phenomena." Excuse me? So, then according to this new definition, what they're teaching at Hogwarts can be considered science, right? The Hogwarts School of Science. Very nice. (Except then, magic is paganism... and God doesn't like that... uh-oh! Flaw in the system! Back to the drawing board.)

Plus, you guys just got showed up by Pennsylvania. They voted to oust intelligent design... and aren't those people Amish? But I guess even the Amish get it: "'My kids believe in God. I believe in God. But I don't think it belongs in the science curriculum the way the school district is presenting it,' said Jill Reiter, 41, a bank teller who joined a group of high school students waving signs supporting the challengers Tuesday."

So, come on Kansas, join us and Dorothy in the world of color. You can even still believe in God.

1 Comments:

At 2:24 PM, Blogger SR Phoenix said...

Yeah, I'm not necessarily opposed to the idea of intelligent design. I just don't think it should be taught as science. I mean, they had to redefine science to fit it into the curriculum and that's ridiculous.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home