Monday, December 12, 2005

Meet the Parents

This past weekend, I went home to NJ with my boyfriend. It was his first time visiting my house and family. He was scared. Rumours he had heard about meeting Filipino parents filled his head with anxiety (I'm not sure exactly what those rumours were). Plus, I am the youngest of 3 girls... and my dad does not take kindly to the boys sniffing around his daughters. As an example of the trials endured by our suitors: boys are not allowed upstairs. After about 15 years of being with my sister, over 10 years of marriage, and having two children with her, my brother-in-law has just recently been granted access to the aforementioned restricted area.

This was not the first time for my family to meet the boyfriend, but it was the first significant period of time they would spend together (except for my eldest sister and her family, whom we visited in Kansas already). Things went way better than any of us had anticipated, I think. My dad actually liked him! Well, what he actually said on the phone after I returned to DC was: "That guy's ok."

They played ping pong and watched football together. It was so cute. And it made me really happy. My dad said he can come home with me anytime he wants. It might sound like small accomplishments, but if you know how my dad is with me and my sisters, you've gotta understand that this is huge. HUGE!!

Now, I just have to get his family to like me as much as my family seems to like him...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home