Friday, December 16, 2005

A Smurfy Book

How to Serve Smurfs(... is a cookbook!!!)

Gregory Maguire's doing it again: giving a voice to the villainized. According to the Onion, this time he's telling the tale from Gargamel's point of view. We all knew there was something fishy going on in that Smurf village. And I'm sure we've all heard the comparisons drawn between the Smurfs and 1984. Or the Smurfs and the KKK. So really, this novel has been a long time coming.

*Sidenote
Things I never knew about the Smurfs until finding out about this book:
1) Gargamel created Smurfette with black hair to infiltrate his enemies' ranks aka the Smurfs (my interpretation - brunettes are evil?)
2) The goodness of the Smurf community and a spell by Papa Smurf transformed Smurfette into the high-heel sporting, white dress wearing blonde we're all familiar with, bringing her away from the dark side (my interpretation - blondes are better?)
3) Smurfs are asexual (my interpretation - Smurfs have no fun.)

**Sorry, I should have clarified that the Onion is a parody newpaper.

2 Comments:

At 9:59 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Did you ever see the Saturday Night Live skit about the Smurfs? It was a commercial for a made-for-TV live action Smurfs movie. Hi-LARIOUS.

Sean Connery as Papa Smurf. "If we be smurfed, let the bastards be smurfed who smurf us!"

Garth Brooks as Hefty Smurf. "If we go down, we go down Smurfing!"

And Helena Bonham Carter as Smurfette. "Oh, Hefty, you big manly Smurf! I want to smurf you every which way! I want you to smurf all over my smurfs!"

With the Smurf theme song sung by Celine Dion. "La la luh la la la, luh la luh la la Smurf!"

Due to pending legal action, Smurfs may be called Blurfs.

 
At 5:10 PM, Blogger SR Phoenix said...

Haha blurfs. I didn't see that... but I wish I had. It sounds really funny!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home