Tuesday, April 04, 2006

enough

Yeah, I deleted my last post. Sorry, I just didn't like it very much. If I ever post stuff like that again, I'll be sure to edit it more thoroughly beforehand.

Anyway, enough of all that melodramatic writing. Let's get back to the simple and superficial that frequents blogging.

I've been doing fairly well (on the surface). Work's going well. My relationship's going well. I'm moving by the end of May. Actually, I'm buying a condo... or more like, my parents are buying a condo in DC and putting me in charge of all the leg work. The details have yet to be worked out, but I believe it will, at least in part, be in my name. And yes, I've always been incredibly spoiled. My parents figure that things are really hard for me inside my head; so, they'd like to do all they can to make things easier for me outside my head. I'm a very luck baby, in that way.

I'm pretty much looking anywhere near a metro. The two places I've liked so far, in my one weekend of open house-ing, are in the Dupont area. We'll see how it all goes though. This coming weekend should see many more open houses.

Not much else is going on. My freelanceing has pretty much screeched to a halt, but I'm pretty sure it'll pick up again this month. Again, we'll see.

So, my life's pretty boring (which is really a good thing). I watched a couple movies over the weekend: Fantastic Four and Crash. I liked both, but Crash on a much deeper level. At the risk of sounding stupid, what was the symbolic significance of the snow? (Did that sound stupid? I can never tell.) One of the things I liked most about Crash, on the simplest of levels, is that it was a good length. I think, starting with Titanic and Good Will Hunting, movies have tended to be too long when they don't really need to be. Maybe it's just because I hail from the ADHD generation, but that's my humble opinion and I'm sticking to it.

On the literary side, I'm reading Emma again. Need to get back to basics. Good storytelling without any gimmicks.

Okay, having just talked about things being longer than they need to be...

5 Comments:

At 3:03 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Emma as good storytelling? In the words of Christmas Eve, I healing you collectry?

The problem with alllll Romantic literature, as I see it, is that you have about thirty pages of some of the greatest stories ever written, and then five-hundred pages of filler.

I once heard some comedian describe Moby Dick as "300 pages of blubber, 200 pages about how niggers are good with spears, and a few paragraphs of an epic revenge story."

And Charles Dickens... WTF? I once read an entire PAGE of Dickens that was nothing but him describing how a door was red. "And the redness of the door - - what redness! It being red, in all its qualities, were as of a red barn at sunset, no lack of redness had it. 'Would that God had known of a red of a color such as this,' thought M.--- So and So. It's rediness ran like blood over its reditude. The door, as to shame the name of the color red, was red."

THIS is the guy who gave us one of our most enduring tales of Christmas? Humbug!

NOTE: Romantic literature and its excess loghorrea is NOT to be confused with ROMANCE literature and its excess GONhorrea.

Speaking of the N-word and certain Asian languages lacking the letter L, I ALSO saw Crash this weekend.

I don't do well with symbolism. I always feel like I'm churning out religion-worthy bullshit.

Like when Sandra Bullock slips on the stairs - "That was DARK stained wood, man! That's the BLACK man coming out from under her and laying down the law, dawg!" And when it snows at the end? That's either symbolic of the white man (snow is white) keeping everyone down or of another white powder that's known for destroying black communities.

NOW who looks stupid?

 
At 8:25 PM, Blogger SR Phoenix said...

KM, you crack me up! In that nerd solidarity kind of way. I was definitely thinking "teacher" after reading the first line of your comment.

Brilliant with the snow explanation. Thank you very much. You are very clever indeed.

 
At 8:44 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ever see the movie "Volcano" with Tommy Lee Jones? It's about a volcano erupting in downtown Los Angeles. Racism is also a major theme. It's sort of like Crash, but with lava.

Anyway, at the end of the movie, the volcano erupts (bet you didn't see THAT coming, did you?) and everyone gets covered in soot and gently-falling volcanic ash (very snowesque). Then this little kid who was just rescued from a burning building looks around at the now similarly-colored masses and says "Everyone's the same!"

Clearly this was Paul Haggis' inspiration when filming the end of Crash.

I have such trouble with symbolism... I've definetely made other people read books they wouldn't otherwise read, just so they could explain to me the meaning of so-and-so doing such-and-such.

So smartypants kmm81, how does "snow as symbolic equalizer" relate to The Empire Strikes Back, when the Rebels seek refuge on the remote ice planet of Hoth? Clearly not equality on the battlefield, as Luke et al are overwhelmed by the Imperial walkers. Or is it foreshadowing of Luke's confrontation with his father, when he realizes THEIR equality - rather than finding what he has desired and feared, he finds that he IS what he has desired and feared. First in the cave on Dagobah when he cuts of the illusory Darth Vader's head only to reveal himself behind the mask, then later when Vader reveals himself as Luke's father, and finally (because these things come in threes) with the juxtaposition of Luke's mechanical hand against Vader's.

Or is it just that ice planets are badass?

 
At 8:04 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I wasn't hating. You can do something I cannot. Hence you're valuable, and I don't want to alienate you. In fact, you can join my league of amateur superheroes. You can be The English Teacher.

So does this mean I don't get my requested analysis of the ice planet Hoth?

 
At 10:30 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

KMM- My apologies for hating. I'm a lover, not a hater. Although if there's one thing I hate it's Stephen Perry.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home