Thursday, May 18, 2006

Finale Frenzy - HIMYM

How I Met Your Mother (HIMYM)
That darn president inconvenienced my life once again, as his presidential address this past Monday delayed the start of the prime time lineup on some networks. So, what I thought would be a great, perfectly-timed night of television -- starting with HIMYM and immediately followed by the 2-hour conclusion of Grey's -- turned into a good 20 minutes of frantically switching between the two shows. Yeah, I know I need a TiVo/DVR.

So, I'm gonna cut HIMYM some slack and say that my disappointment in the finale may have been caused by my forced inattentiveness. But there was disappointment all the same.

The Robin-Ted relationship lost me at the very beginning of the whole show. I'm not really a huge fan of Robin's. She kind of treats Ted pretty badly: rejecting him from the get-go, forcing this awkward friendship and squeezing herself into his circle, deciding she likes him when he's finally happy with Victoria, and then being an uber-bitch to Victoria. She's a Canadian Rachel (yes, that's 2 Rachel references in 2 blogs) and who needs that? Don't get me wrong; I like her enough, but I don't want her with Ted. And since we KNOW they don't end up together, what's the point? Entertainment, I suppose. And it'll be a good learning experience for Ted; he does need to make these mistakes: drinking bad milk and going out with Robin.

So, I can accept they're being together, but did they have to get together with all that extra-cheese? A rain dance, calling up to her apartment from the street, kissing in the rain, a rain dance, dozens of roses, a blue-instrumented serenade, a RAIN DANCE??... bleh. What the hell happened to the writing in this episode? They managed to cheese it up with Ted and Victoria while maintaining quality tv, but they pretty much failed in that respect with this episode, imho.

Marshall and Lily, on the other hand, was a great storyline and will continue to be one next season. I love the pausing, though I could've done without the Red Lobster commercial.

(Also, how can they have Willow, Wesley, and Fred all in one show and not have them interact? Harumph. I would love even just a cheesy "don't I know you" sort of thing. Oh how I miss Buffy... and Angel to a lesser extent. *sigh*)

3 Comments:

At 8:12 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I thought the Red Lobster thing was the funniest part. I can see Barney's ad firm (assuming it's an ad firm) coming up with such a scruple-less shill of an endorsement. Go tie-in!

 
At 11:13 AM, Blogger SR Phoenix said...

I should clarify: I thought Lily and Marshall pausing to go to Red Lobster was hilarious... I love me some good product placement... I didn't like the actual ad when breaking for commercial. It's like we get it, man... and we get it, man.

 
At 12:04 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I really want to see if pausing actually works.

Do you think we'll see Lily making a trip to Sunnydale when she's out in Cali?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home