Tuesday, May 02, 2006

wag

Gosh, I'm bored. With life, not work; work is always a whirlwind of excitement ;oP. Seriously, though, I'm so bored that I hardly even watched tv last night. Of course, I still watched How I Met Your Mother, or HIMYM to those in the 'in.' Best Prom Ever! Loved Lily's desire for a lesbian experience... because she's Willow and Willow's a lesbian! Get it? Get it?! Oh how I love a good Buffy reference.

Anyway, boredom actually lead me out of my apartment yesterday. Nothing overly exciting, but hey it was outside. Went to TGIFriday's for dinner... talk about excitement. Sadly, I had just watched the movie Waiting, starring Ryan Reynolds. *pause for dreamy sigh and momentary salivating* So, I couldn't quite enjoy my food and experience without thinking about the extra trimmings they loaded on in the movie. Yeah, I have trouble distinguishing between fictional movies/tv/books and real life; you wanna make something of it? After that, we got some ice cream at Cone E. Island... gotta love moose tracks.

Okay, now I'm even bored with my own damn blog entry.

Those articles I said were getting published are not published, which is infuriating. One magazine keeps telling me, "Oh we love your writing! We can't wait to publish it! It'll be in the __ issue." And is it there? No! Infuriating. At least they paid me. Then, the other mag hasn't contacted me at all. The only time they did is when they needed a rewrite.

I'm about to give up on the whole writing thing. I know, I'm just starting out and I have to be ready for all this frustration and yada yada yada. But to me, that just means, it's gonna get worse... and it might never get better. So, is it worth it? And do I really think I can make it? Honestly, I don't. Or I haven't thought so in a while. I don't think I'm particularly good at writing; I just love it is all. For all I know, I'm one of those sad rejects from the beginning of every American Idol season who thinks they're awesome and just needs a good nationally public humiliation to make them realize the real truth.

Besides, things very rarely work out well for me. If it's not one thing, it's another. It just ain't meant to be. I'm not being negative, really. It sounds negative, but it's just realistic and I'm okay with it. I'm just venting right now, I guess. I'll keep writing, of course; it's like oxygen... or crack. But we'll see if I'll go pro or happily stay in the amateur league... and go for the gold in the next writing Olympics!

4 Comments:

At 9:26 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Fenice (that's Italian - fenn-EACH-ay)-

Far be it for you to take the word of someone who posts anonymously on your blog, but I must insist that you not desist in your writing endeavors!

I hate to write. I find it boring and I can never bring myself to do it. I would love to be a world famous writer because I love being rich, I love being famous, and I love telling good stories. But I hate to write. Mostly because I don't think I'm very good at it because I can't bear to read my own writing and, despite the assurances of my mom and close friends, I'm pretty sure I'm right about my quality.

You, however, are an EXCELLENT writer. Part of what makes you so good is your love for it. Determination without strength is useless, but strength without determination is equally so. You have both I think.

Your time will come, and even if it doesn't, so what? You love to write! You think the people on American Idol who sing like they're gargling a steaming bowl of squirrel piss suddenly stop singing in the shower because Simon told them the truth? Hells no.

And if you're bored, you're not trying hard enough. I'm NEVER bored. The key to making life interesting is to create little challenges for yourself. Does your office have drop ceilings? Try smashing one of the tiles with your phone. The challenge here is to explain to your boss the reason why, AND to get away with it!

Speaking of American Idol, go see American Dreamz. You'll like it.

And I think the Lily lesbian thing-as-Buffy-reference is a tenuous link at best. I think the lesbian thing is a staple of modern situational comedy. It's like saying that Robin having dark straight hair is CLEARLY an homage to River Tam from Serentity/Firefly.

 
At 8:27 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

If he's moving to China, then he's not perfect, is he? :)

I just read a story I'd written in sixth grade about a man whose fictional world is destroyed and he comes face to face with his own author. The author uses the line "Welcome... to the REAL world."

This story was later ripped off by both Last Action Hero AND the Matrix.

 
At 10:07 AM, Blogger SR Phoenix said...

Uh-oh... don't go there. He is perfect for her. Every relationship has its obstacles to overcome and this is theirs. If it's the right relationship, you'll know because you're willing to face those obstacles together.

As for the ripped off stories, there are only so many stories in the world. So, it all comes down to the different storytellers and the details they introduce.

KM, can't wait to bitch with you this weekend: Aspiring Writers' Bitchfest 2006 or AW Bitch '06! =oP

 
At 1:44 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

As BNL sez, it's all been done.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home