Tuesday, May 23, 2006

Alias Finale

I'm skipping some shows (That 70s Show, The OC, and Desperate Housewives) and going right for Alias.

I just went over The Watercooler's recap of it and I'm thinking maybe I'm just a wee bit more critical than the people over there. While they're saying it was near perfect, I've gotta say, I was pretty disappointed. The excitement I had going into this series finale carried through the first hour.

I loved seeing Marshall with his wife, whom we haven't seen for far too long. In fact, Marshall, again, was awesome at being kidnapped and standing up to the bad guy. Why would Arvin think Marshall couldn't handle this? Doesn't he remember how he faired against that crazy evil Asian dentist guy? It was great to see him tell Sloane exactly what he thought of him. Once again, I heart Marshall.

The flashback scenes were pretty good, too. It was funny to see Sydney tell Jack that she got a job at Credit Dauphine. It was also nice to see Francie, too. But I don't think those scenes gave us anything we didn't already know, which leads into my main complaint about this finale.

I don't feel like anything was really explained. No new information was given. The whole Rambaldi thing was supposed to be huge. The horizon was supposed to be some kind of apocalyptic device or whatever. So, it turns out, all of it was just some fountain of youth that could keep any one person from death? I just don't think that's big enough.

Also, Sloane and Irina, I thought, weren't supposed to be evil. They, Sloane moreseo, seemed to think that everything they were doing was for the "greater good." Sloane thought himself to be chosen. So, how is finding immortality for just themselves and then getting missiles to destroy 2 major cities in order to make money off of rebuilding them the greater good? Irina kept saying that "truth takes time" and there was a purpose behind everything she did. The truth seemed to end up being: she's a crazy bitch who wanted eternal power. Yeah, that didn't need to take 5 years to figure out.

Now that it's all over, I think the show left questions unanswered often throughout its run. But there was so much action and drama swirling around all at once, it was really easy to overlook them. I kept thinking that by the end of the series, everything would get answered. Then again, maybe I just don't get it. I'll let you know what I come up with after watching it all over again on DVD... haha.

Anyway, it sure was a nice and happy ending for our heroes. Even Jack's farewell was fitting and awesome: "You beat death, Arvin, but you couldn't beat me." I'll admit I got all teary at Syd and Jack's last scene together. Sloane could not have met a more appropriate fate: trapped alone underground for the rest of his immortal life. And of course, Sydney and Vaughn got their quiet little house on the beach with their 2 beautiful children, Isabelle and Jack, to live out their happily ever after. Awwww!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home