Thursday, August 31, 2006

sadness, Bones, and Justice

First, let there be sadness. For the past few months, I've been keeping a thread of E-mails on Gmail that I send to myself. They're usually one-liners, brief dialogues, character descriptions, story ideas, etc. Sometimes, they were longer outlines or paragraphs. They were basically a journal of writing notes. Today, though I searched and searched, I cannot find said thread anywhere. Very very sad.

In other news (that's important mainly, if not only, to me), the new fall television season has snuck up on me with Fox starting to premiere new episodes this week. Last night, they aired the second season premiere for Bones, followed by the series premiere of Justice.

Bones, Wednesdays 8:00pm - 9:00pm EST, Fox

Adding to the increasingly long list of reasons I feel cheated by the culmination of Alias (which I have decided to remove from my list of all-time favorite shows, despite what may be listed on my facebook, myspace, and friendster profiles), I missed most of the first season of Bones, along with the first 8 minutes of last night's episode (though that wasn't Alias' fault... as far as I know). For these reasons, I understandably felt out of the loop for some scenes, specifically those regarding Bones' personal story. Otherwise, much of what I love about the show seems to have remained the same: the squints, the romantical tension, David Boreanaz, murder and intrigue. Looking back at past postings covering this show, I'm surprised that I didn't like it from the beginning. Guess I was just a wee less forgiving of newborn shows a year ago. Nice to know I've grown.

This season's premiere saw the addition of Dr. Camille Saroyan, played by Tamara Taylor, placed as a foil for our protagonist, both professionally (Cam got the department head position that Bones might've filled) and personally (Cam and Booth apparently used to have a thing). Personally, I wasn't really feeling the dialogue between Cam and Booth. It really forced a chemistry that I didn't think was really attained by the characters/actors. Also, could Booth be any cockier? Anyway, I think she'll be a good new character that'll shake things up... though it seems a bit early in the series to necessitate such a shaking, but what do I know?

My favorite part of the episode was Bones' unexpected and intelligently argued position on the legalization of certain street drugs. Who knew Bones was such a hippy? =oP

For the TV Guide rundown of the show: here's your link.

Justice, Wednesdays 9:00pm - 10:00pm EST, Fox

This new show from Jerry Bruckheimer is certainly... flashy. I was definitley drawn into the fast paced storyline, quick cuts and dizzying camerawork. But I could've dealt with about 90% less cliches riddling the script. For example, it wasn't too bad when Victor Garber's character Ron Trott exclaimed something like, "They want blood? We'll give them blood!" It was, however, too bad when Kerr Smith's character Tom Nicholson repeated the cheesy line about 2 seconds afterwards. Sure, they said it differently, reflecting the difference between their characters, but I think we all could've gotten that point before the show even started. I mean it's Jack Bristow and the gay kid from Dawson's Creek! Guess who's supposed to be the bad ass and who's supposed to be the nice guy... durr.

The best part about the show is the last 5 minutes, which seems to be their hook. After seeing the razzle dazzle of these high profile cases, you get to see what really happened. Pretty cool.

To sum it up though, I'd say it's overdramatized and underwritten; I'd give it an eh. Then again, look how my opinion has changed since the premiere of Bones.

Yay for the new season starting! =oD It must be my birthday or something...

2 Comments:

At 8:01 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

My powers of prescience are unable to penetrate password-protected pages (poker hands, though, present no problem), so I'm afraid I can't help you.

I believe Google Desktop incorporates a feature that will search your G-Mail account. That may help.

Back when I used to carry a PDA, I decided I was going to keep writing notes on THAT. I think the only thing I ever wrote down was "Man gets job at Steve Madden store so his overbearing, JAPpy girlfriend can get an employee discount there."

Thank heavens, it never turned into anything more than that.

 
At 2:33 PM, Blogger Map said...

Happy Birthday!!!!!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home